So, the plane ride itself was an unforgettable experience. Not THE plane ride actually… all three had their moments. Naturally, the 16 1/2 hour flight had the most character. Part of what made it unique was that it was the only time I felt that I could actually justify watching seven movies back to back (besides the ol’ wisdom teeth removal). But, the first thing that struck me unusual was that the flight crew gave us metal cutlery with which to eat our food. You would think that if they had made the decision to use nice silverware, that they would logically spare giving every passenger aboard the plane a metal knife. I can’t even fathom why it would even seem like a good idea. Take away passenger’s 4 oz container of applesauce at security (which happened to me) but give them serrated metal knives aboard the plane. Sure, give the passengers one of man’s most primitive weapons. To their credit, I will say that the metal knife proved pretty handy during those times when you are cutting a piece of unidentifiable airplane meat.
But the excitement of the trip didn’t even begin to show its face until landing in Johannesburg. First off I originally had a two hour and twenty minute layover that turned into a mere forty minutes because of bad headwind across the Atlantic. I think I could have made due at any U.S. airport. I would just simply run like hell. Such was not the case in Johannesburg. First off I was one of the last to unboard the airplane because I was sitting so far to the back. After disembarking I had to race across three moving walkways and enter the line for a passport check. It was a long line, but it did not take very long. What was unusual is that they did not even check my return date at any point in time (because a foreigner can only be in the country for 90 days). After finishing that task I had to wait at the baggage claim to retrieve my luggage only to wait in line to go through customs. I honestly did not believe that all I would have to do in customs was hand the lady a piece of paper and then walk on through, but that is exactly what happened. And then came the hard part. Running with all my luggage up a slope of cobblestones to a different building that hosts domestic flights. I weaved my way in and out of people only to wait in another line to check in my bags. 10 minutes till my flight departs. I get to the desk. 5 minutes. He tells me my bags cannot make it on the flight. He says I probably wont make it and that the flights to Cape Town are booked full for the rest of the day. I must stay the night in Johannesburg. I didn't know what to say. I looked at him and suddenly he jumped from behind the desk and took my bags and we started running. He used his crew pass to get me through all of security and rushed me through the gates. I was the last person to board the plane and the baggage department had to be reopened so mine could be thrown in.
Alas I am here in Cape Town. The internet goes in and out so I don't know when my next post will be. And P.S. it rains here, hard. I woke up to the sound of hail and rain on the tin roof a couple of times last night. So much for leaving a lot of my Columbia gear at home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Way to brave the unknown Mindy, Were proud of you. You will be a travel expert when you get home...take care and continue to be aware of your surroundings
Post a Comment