11.26.2007

Another list.

There are a lot of thing to be missed about the states. My list accounts for the few I find personally relevant. This list serves another purpose. This list is of things that I will miss about South Africa and Cape Town, despite my living here for such a short time. This list is created with a touch of sadness, knowing that I might not return to the things on this list that I love, however, it relishes in the fact that I have been able to experience these things in the first place.

1. Obviously one cannot and will not ever forget the people they meet. I have been blessed with the opportunity to live with the most incredible people I have ever met. My flat mates all have such different personalities, yet they love with all their hearts. It is amazing the connection that can arise between people in such a short period of time. Two of my flat mates have returned home for the summer, and I already miss their presence. I hope that when continents divide us we can still remain close, as hard as that always proves to be.

2. My cereal. I don’t know if I have written about it before, although I have most certainly spoken about it on many occasions. I have always been a fan of cereal. I have it every single day. I had this cereal when I was younger called Nut N’ Honey. Most people remember the commercials when I speak about them. Anyway, they discontinued it in the states awhile back (I think in the early nineties) and I have obsessed about it ever since. I have even written to Kellogg’s. Twice. Anyway, upon my arrival here I was elated to find it. Here they pass it off as Honey Nut Corn Flakes, but I know its true identity. I will be sad to leave it again.

3. The magazines. They are wrapped in a type of cellophane so that they can include nifty contents. This month’s issue of Marie Claire comes with a belt. In the past I have received mixed CDs of local music (included with most magazines), lotion and mascara. Not just that though. Even the seemingly trite ones have so much more to offer than in the states. Cosmo has a huge section on politics, local events and philanthropy.

4. Being on edge. Always having to be aware and cautious. You might ask why this on a list of positives, and to that I will answer this: In the States it is easy to be comfortable in life. To lead each day knowing you are safe and that nothing is probably going to happen to you. When you enter this state of being you become blind to all the small things in life that makes this happen. To the fact that life is what it is, and not the process in which it has become. While living in South Africa, I have realized that not being completely comfortable is okay. Feeling a little unsafe in your surroundings keeps you on your toes, aware of what is going on in all aspects. You become more keen, more perceptive. In doing this you also become more appreciative. Of people, of modern conveniences… the small things. The South Africans don’t even notice it. They have been born into a culture where one cannot be completely comfortable in the western sense of the word… yet they are. It is all so amazing.

No comments: