I have had a number of questions about my internship lately... It seems that I only write about my adventures and travels, and for this there is a very good reason. There is not much to say about the routine life of a working woman. My internship is setup through this program called VACorps, which is short for Volunteer Adventure Corps (www.vacorps.com). I actually work for the program directors and my bio will be posted shortly on the aformentioned website. The program directors, Sean and Oliver, are working on creating a new program called the Africa Photo Academy (APA for short) and my duty as their intern is to research potential competitors, create a travel itinerary and fine tune/edit the website. My hours are agreeable and if my flatmates and I decide to go exploring somewhere I can negotiate some time off without much hassle.
The biggest story to tell about my internship is the amount of coordination it takes to get to and from my place of employment. Robbery is a daily occurence in my neighborhood. Since I have been here two acquaintances and one friend have had their places broken into and their stuff ransacked. Luckily for me, I live in a very secure apartment/office building on the equivalent of the third floor, and so the likelyhood on anyone breaking in is pretty low. My biggest security concern is getting mugged. Every weekday I travel by foot to and from work with my laptop hidden away in my backpack. I walk at a brisk pace and am very alert, with keys in hand in case I need a convenient weapon. I coordinate my travels when others in the business park will be on foot as well so that there are plenty of eyes and ears around me. I have discovered that most of the people that walk to path with me are women, and I have found some solace in that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment