12.16.2008

A Night Out in Cape Town

After ObzFest, Christina's family came to Cape Town for the festivities listed in the previous post (birthday, graduation, etc). As part of the celebration, I was invited to join the Andersen family in some fine dining experiences that far exceeded anything I have ever been part of or witness to.

One place was called the "Showroom" and it gets its name because it is seated above the luxury car showroom (Ferarris, BMWs, Lamborghinis, etc) between downtown Cape Town and the waterfront. It was odd to have someone there to unfold my napkin into my lap and to assist me with looking over the menu (practically helping me turn the pages). Having my glasses (water, white wine, red wine) refilled after every sip I took was also something to get used to. It was also the first time I had experienced the prestige of Dom Perignon. And it goes without saying that the food was exceptional. Too bad the main was preceded by the starters and my bottomless wine glass because I found myself too full to eat the main platter by the time it came around.





Cape Town sunsets are another thing I have yet to highlight- they occur from any and every part of Cape Town, either setting off one of the many beaches, mountains, or buildings. Here is a photo I took after dinner one night, from the balcony of the house where Christina's parents were staying.





This is a night shot taken near Downtown with Lion's Head in the background (which is a really nice hike that I did last year).

No comments: